Sunday, November 6, 2011

Wild Flowers of Kwa Zulu Natal

We've had some dismal early Summer weather here recently and whilst my veg are growing well, there's really nothing in the garden worth posting about. So, I thought I'd share with you some pics of a few of the wild flowers that can be found in and around my little bit of Africa. All of these quite literally grow by the side of the road.........Hope you like them!

CROCOSMIA AUREA
image by sequoiagardens.wordpress.com

WATSONIA DENSIFLORA
image by kznwildlife.com

GLADIOLUS LONGICOLLIS
image by flickr.com

PLUMBAGO AURICULATA
image by plantzafrica.com

KNIPHOFIA CAULESCENS
(RED HOT POKER)
image by africanbulbs.com

image by wikipedia.org

HIBISCUS TRIONUM

image by finegardening.com

Maybe one day I will have all of these in my garden but they really do look spectacular when you see them growing wild.
It's tough living in such a beautiful place ........

3 comments:

  1. Hi Laura; You seem to be pretty expert on plant identification, so I wonder if you would be able to identify one for me? It is a plant which has little clusters of 3-petalled white flowers on long thin stalks, and narrow, tough spiky leaves - see my blogpost of 30th April, here:-http://marksvegplot.blogspot.com/2011/04/what-is-this.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. SA is really blessed with some amazing flowers, the only problem I have is finding them in our nurseries.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, how beautiful! I love the shape of that gladiolus bloom. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Please leave me a message...