Sunday, April 6, 2014

67 Blankets for Madiba Day 2014


Earlier this year I became involved in a wonderful initiative that (like many other wonderful initiatives) started with a single idea by a single individual and has blossomed into a Worldwide phenomenon. It's called 67 Blankets for Madiba Day and some of you may already have heard about it but if not, HERE'S a link to a short Youtube video about how it started and what it is..... please have a look.

So I decided to knit a blanket using all the odd bits and pieces that I had in my stash. I didn't think I had very much and I envisaged buying at least 4 balls of wool at some point. I was wrong. I have completed the blanket without buying a single ball!!!

Take a look ....

I wasn't too bothered about colour co-ordination and literally just used up every scrap of yarn that I had. At the end I laid it out on my bed just as the squares came out of the bag and started crocheting them together.

Then I decided on a simple edging (thanks Lucy)....

And I could see it finally coming together.....

A quick swirl around in the bath with some Woolite and out on the line to dry....

My Beautiful Blanket for Madiba Day!!!
Til soon....


  1. Madiba would have been proud of you! A lovely colourful item, very much in keeping with his preferences, i feel.

  2. What a lovely idea! Had a look at the YouTube video - inspiring and so heart-warming to see so many people knitting and crocheting together. There's just something about a handmade blanket that says "I care" isn't there? Have a happy week, Laura! E x

  3. Beautiful blankie! and also quite big :) Great job! I am your new follower, I liked your blog a lot! I also crochet and blog about my life...but in India. Have a nice day!

  4. Well done! Your blanket looks great!


I would love to hear from you! Please leave me a message...