Wednesday, September 21, 2011

My Wonderful Wisteria.....

When hubby, kids and I moved into our house six years ago we discovered an aged Wisteria tangled up with a ton of other plants lost and neglected almost hidden by an outhouse.
Hubby (an avid lover of Wisteria and  consumate hater of throwing plants away), decided to try and resurrect the old lady and give her the Wisteria equivalent of a walking frame on which she could lean.
He built his first pergola (of which he was very proud) and set about cutting back her dead wood and carefully tying her new shoots to the framework.
We waited for that first Spring when we would see whether she'd survive but survive she did and six years on this is what she gives us every Spring.
We never fail to be impressed.....



Isn't she beautiful? We think so.


Spot the bee......


She really is a graceful old lady and if we ever move I'll have to take a cutting......

4 comments:

  1. I do love the look of wisteria but we have one on our back fence and it drives me nuts! The branches keep growing between the fence palings and getting fatter. I know it will eventually bring it down and it is constant work to keep it under control. If only we had a pergola like you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love wisteria especially when the flowers can hang down over a pergola. I wonder how many years it took to get that large. I planted one either side of a pergola and after three years it still hasn't reached the top.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Missy, I think our wisteria is probably about 30 or 40 years old!! We've removed a huge amount of dead wood and that seemed to revive her. She has double the flowers this year that she had last year!! x

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Please leave me a message...