Saturday, December 17, 2011

First carrot harvest!!!!

Yay!!! I've harvested my first veg today and here they are!!!


They did have another couple of weeks to go before the harvest date on the packet but we much prefer baby carrots so I picked them now. Little D helped me get them out of the ground....


.....and then proceeded to make me some beautiful Carrot Art.....first, a face ........

then, a sun......


...and finally, a row of solidiers which he played with for about half an hour.....

So, that's my carrots!! There's about enough for one meal but that's not the point. The REAL point is that I planted the seeds a few months ago and these grew - they really did!!! I'm sure the experienced gardeners among you can tell me why they are so crooked and why some of them have cracks and holes, so I look forward to learning more. In the meantime, here's a little more carrot love (sigh).....


2 comments:

  1. They wouldn't win any prizes for good looks, but isn't it just so satisfying to eat something you have grown yourself? Carrots grown longest and straightest in sandy but moisture-retentive soil without too many stones - but not everyone can provide that :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Anniversary, BTW. Don't leave it as long as we did to buy your present to yourselves (our anniversary is 17th SEPT!)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Please leave me a message...